Genetic Testing

I am getting lots of questions about genetic testing. Navigenics was acquired late last year by Life Technologies. Life Technologies is going to relaunch the Navigenics DNA disease testing as well as a new product to look at the genetic changes in patients with cancer (to personalize their cancer treatments). The final testing and regulatory filings are underway. I apologize that the testing hasn’t been available, but will be soon!

To you health!

David

Comments

1. ADEDOTUN ADESHINA says:

It’s really nice to here about your book ‘THE END OF ILLNESS’ how can i get your book.

2. D. Mendlik says:

My brother lives in Czech Republic nad his cancer returned for 4th time, he has a very good doctors team a super care, the 3rd time he was included itno Czeh/USA reaserch… this time doctor is looking for alternatives, his bones are very weak so are the blood cells.. I just listen your short video about the chick egg and it took my interest very much!! I am going to translate and e-mail to my brother!!! Its amazingly simple what you came up with! But sometimes…we forget to be simple. Thank you very mch, maybe there will be able to help again!

3. Hans Mustermann says:

Dear Mr. Agus,

will these test also be available in Europe (Germany) or are they US exclusively?

Kind Regards

4. Dear Dr. Agus, I read your op-ed piece in the NY Times about genetic testing for BRAC1 and 2. I have neither of these genetic abnormalities but in talking with a geneticist my brother and I have a high likelihood of Lynch Syndrome for the same colon cancer that killed our mother, her sister and their father. The cost of the testing is not covered by any insurance carrier in Massachusetts. They all want cash. Thousands of dollars. I could not get the genetic testing done unless there was a one degree of separation from someone who already had the test done. My brother cannot afford the cost either. We have to live with the assumption that we both carry Lynch Syndrome and get our colonoscopy’s done every other year. The price for these tests to look at our genes is so completely outrageous it staggers me. All I got out of meeting with the Geneticist was sorry I can’t help you unless you pony up.
    Sincerely,
    xx xx
    Massachusetts

• I am so sorry that you are having such difficulty getting these critical tests done. The good news is that with the US Supreme COurt decision the price will continue to fall for the tests.

5. I was very pleased by your NY Times op-ed piece on Myriad Genetics’ unconscionable practices. I live in Costa Rica and am unable to pay the cash fee that Myriad asks for genetic testing for BRCA1 and 2. I have been searching for a non-US provider, and you mention that there are European companies that do it. However I have been unable to find any of them. How can I locate a reliable tester for BRCA1 and 2 outside the U.S.?

If you post this, which is fine with me, please do not publish my name.

Thanks,
    A.

• Yes. quite exciting that the US Supreme Court has democratized DNA information, and the cost of tests will continue to fall. There are several companies that have entered the market, including internationally and there will be several more in the next few months.

6. The market is getting crowded for multigene actionable mutation detection tests. Can you as a non partisan compare ampliseq, foundation 1, sequenom, preciopios, navigenics and such systems in terms of their analytic sensitivity, specificity and accuracy along with pricing and likelihood of benefit in an advanced cancer irrespective of histogenesis and primary site.

• Yes, there are several tests out there. Focus on a test that has been reviewed by the FDA and uses genetic counsellors for review of the data. I cannot recommend an individual company.

7. Ray Burns says:

What is your stance on fish oil?

8. Brian Turner says:

I have chronic back pain and take 1000 mg/day of ibuprofen. Since ibuprofen is a non steroidal anti inflammatory drug, what are your thoughts on adding a low dose aspirin? I am 60 years old and am in otherwise good health. At my annual physical my Primary Physician advised it to be unnecessary .

• I would ask your doctor about combining the aspirin and ibuprofen, as I don’t know enough about you. Also, ask him why you shouldn’t be on an aspirin. Go armed with data!

9. Roberto C. says:

Now that Navigenics is out of Business and Life Technologies in not yet offering a similar Service, Do you recommend any other company for DNA disease testing?

10. Denise Davis says:

Good morning. Is there a doctor in Henderson,NV or Las Vegas that treats in the manner you do? My husband and I would like to have testing done.